New media reminds me of those films: amoebas floating in a Petri dish and suddenly deciding to divide into new forms that more or less resembled the previous generation, yet were entirely new.
What are those differences between the old and the new?
- Old media is defined by scarcity.
- Its production is defined by the tools.
- Production only happens in buildings.
- Expertise has value because it is limited.
- Social relations inside the organizations are highly defined.
- New media is defined by abundance.
- New media is post-industrial and non-material.
- Production is defined by the product.
- Production is collaborative, not hierarchical.
- Expertise is based in diversity.
- Social relations are in constant flux.
Antonio Gramsci (1891-1937): "The old world is dying; the new world does not yet know how to be born. In between, some curious deformations occur."